Monday, October 3, 2011

Garden Chili

At the end of the season just before we pull the garden we make a large pot of Chili with all the tomatoes and peppers left

When I cook soup I usually triple the recipe so I can have some meals on hand in the freezer
The Tomatoes I put put in boiling water for 60 seconds take out then the skin comes right off

I buy my seasonings from Cosco

Garden Chili Recipe
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion diced small
2 green peppers diced small
3 jalapenos diced small
1 can dark red kidney beans
2 cans black beans ( I only use the black cause my family does not like kidney beans)
8 Tomatoes stewed with juices ( or use 2 large cans of Petite diced tomatoes and juice)
1/4 cup of rice
2-3TBS Chili powder ( to taste)
1TBS Cumin
2 dashes of Cajun seasoning ( optional)
3TBS brown sugar
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
In a large saucepan cook onion, ground beef, and peppers till meat is brown, drain the grease
Stir in tomatoes, seasonings, beans, and rice. Bring to a boil while stirring then reduce heat and simmer for about 2hours to get the flavors to absorb into the chili. Serve with sour cream, hot sauce, and Cheddar cheese
Have fun with this recipe, you can add diced fresh cilantro, celery, mushrooms, I have also added 2Tbs of taco seasoning...whatever ingredients your family enjoys!


Dinner is Served